The M. J. Murdock Charitable Trust’s mission is to enrich the quality of life in the Pacific Northwest by helping strengthen the region’s educational, spiritual, and cultural base in innovative and sustainable ways. The Murdock Trust has helped live this mission by awarding more than $1.2 billion in grants over the last 46 years. The foundation also offers a variety of enrichment programs designed to invest in the capacity of individuals serving the nonprofit sector and convenings that help bring leaders from diverse backgrounds together to discuss and collaborate on solutions to complex challenges in our community.
The Murdock Trust seeks to raise awareness of the organizations it serves and supports through ongoing, strategic communications. Following several years of significant growth, the Murdock Trust is in need of a Communications Assistant to support these proactive programs.
The Communications Assistant is a member of the Murdock Trust Communications team. This role supports the Trust’s mission and work, specifically the promotion of our grantees, outreach to nonprofits, and engagement in broader discussions regarding philanthropy and giving. This position includes but is not limited to contributing to media pitching strategy, placement and coordination, blog writing, website updates, graphic design, social media content and channel management, event development and logistics, video production, podcast production, and newsletter creation and distribution.
Reporting and Supervisory Relationships
Reports to and is supervised by the Director of Communications.
- Build, manage, and maintain Communications distribution lists.
- Help identify and build target lists for events and media outreach.
- Manage and maintain digital dashboards and report on relevant metrics as needed.
- Manage upload and distribution of completed content across digital platforms such as WordPress, ConstantContact.
- Monitor media landscape across Murdock Trust service area.
- Build and nurture relationships with local media and influencers.
- Support crisis and rapid response outreach.
- Support Communication team events and webinars, including planning, invite list development and vetting, RSVP management, onsite logistics and attendee follow up.
- Represent the Murdock Trust at relevant industry and regional events as determined.
- Help identify potential event partnership and sponsorship opportunities.
- Brainstorm, write, publish, and evaluate performance of written content for Trust website and media placements, including blog posts, web articles, newsletters, and sponsored content.
- Organize and maintain Trust communication records, including grantee photos and resources.
- Oversee the creation, printing, and distribution of relevant collateral (digital and hard copies).
- Support development, review, and distribution of multimedia projects, including video and podcasts.
- Craft content for Murdock Trust social media channels. Monitor and manage Murdock Trust social media channels and community.
Strategy and Assessment
- Develop, test, and evaluate new communications strategies to promote the work of Murdock Trust grantees.
- Collaborate with Director of Communications, vendors, and relevant staff to integrate Communications efforts into broader work of the Trust.
- Identify key metrics and benchmarks for all communications work.
- Assist in capturing all relevant data for assessment.
- Build, distribute and assess efficacy of various public reports on grantmaking and other Trust activity.
- Develop strategic goals in relation to the organization’s Strategic Priorities in partnership with the Director of Communications.
- Participate in Trust wide task forces as requested. Also performs other duties and support as assigned.
Experience and Educational Requirements
- A bachelor’s degree and 0-3 years of relevant communications experience or 7+ years of professional experience in lieu of a degree.
- This position requires superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in traditional office software, including Microsoft Office suite.
- Preference given to familiarity with Constant Contact, Sprout Social, PicMonkey, Adobe Creative Suite.
- Some travel may be required to attend staff and communications events.
- Candidate must possess a passion for community service.
- Candidate must demonstrate their ability to be a team player, and a strategic and analytical thinker.
- Must possess an ability to multitask and remain organized across multiple deadlines.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter to Resumes@murdocktrust.org discussing how your experience and background would be best suited for this role and why you are interested in working for the Murdock Trust.
Position Range: $48,000-$52,000.
The Murdock Trust also offers an exceptional benefit package including:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Section 125 accounts including flexible spending and dependent care
- Immediate eligibility and vesting 401(k), 401(k) matching, and Profit Share
- Disability insurance and Life insurance
- 11 paid holidays and generous vacation and sick time
- Professional development assistance