The M. J. Murdock Charitable Trust’s mission is to enrich the quality of life in the Pacific Northwest by helping strengthen the region’s educational, spiritual, and cultural base in innovative and sustainable ways. The Murdock Trust has helped live this mission by awarding more than $1.2 billion in grants over the last 46 years. The foundation also offers a variety of enrichment programs designed to invest in the capacity of individuals serving the nonprofit sector and convenings that help bring leaders from diverse backgrounds together to discuss and collaborate on solutions to complex challenges in our community.
The Murdock Trust seeks to raise awareness of the organizations it serves and supports through ongoing, strategic communications. Following several years of significant growth, the Murdock Trust is in need of a Communications Assistant to support these proactive programs.
The Receptionist and Administrative Assistant at the Murdock Trust directs guests in however they engage with the Trust to get answers they need, connect with person they need, or understand and navigate our website for the information they need. This position welcomes Trust guests, manages the flow of phone calls and email inquiries, and provides a wide-range of administrative and clerical services that are supportive of office operations. The person in this position is in regular contact with people and must work well with a variety of personality types while demonstrating professionalism, confidentiality, friendliness, and respect.
Reporting and Supervisory Relationships
Reports to and is supervised by the Chief Financial Officer.
Office Reception & Administration
- With warmth and enthusiasm, answers incoming telephone calls and routes them to appropriate individuals.
- Articulately provides general Trust information in response to incoming calls. Screens calls and refers to others when additional expertise is needed to answer questions.
- Utilizes access system to authorize guest access to office suite.
- Warmly welcomes visitors, stows personal items, offers beverages, and notifies appropriate personnel of their arrival. Assists with creating hospitable environment for guests.
- Assists the Events & Hospitality Coordinator with oversight, room preparation, hospitality, and meeting facilitation for internal/external office meetings.
- Sorts, opens, and routes daily mail. Manages shipping and courier services.
- Facilitate vendor invoice requests and processing.
- Responsible for ordering, stocking, and organizing office supplies.
- Utilize grants management system (Fluxx) to support grantee communication.
- Manages office conference room calendar and master calendar for office awareness and room booking.
- Monitors the Trust’s general mailbox email and responds/forwards to appropriate staff members.
- Logs received checks and assists the preparation and mailing of accounts payable and grant checks.
- Maintains the presentation of the kitchen, workrooms, and common area spaces.
- Performs office opening and closing procedures: Brings daily newspaper, open/lock patio doors, refreshes coffee, cleans kitchen counters, puts away perishable foods, and updates ground lobby afterhours message screen.
- Handles building communication and announcements.
- Handles administration of parking tags, garage remotes, and general access.
- Assists with other support staff to mail or send communication to grantees, event attendees, and key partners.
- Assists RSVP communication for Trust events and annual Founder’s Day.
- Provides first line technical support for office phone system in coordination with the Director of Information Technology.
- Provides first line technical support for multi-function copiers and printers including supply inventory.
- Supports use and maintenance of postage machine.
- Helps prepare event materials for Trust conferences, convenings, Founder’s Day, influencer events, and other enrichment related activities.
- Assists the research and material preparation of rotating office art and cultural displays.
- Maintains a secure front desk environment and facilitates front office access and procedures.
- Assist in the tracking of staff leave administration.
- Assists the coordination of special projects and the assembly of data for office departments.
- Some travel may be required to staff seminars, conferences, etc.
- A willingness and ability to perform other tasks and special projects for all office departments as assigned.
- May participate in various office committees or be asked to complete tasks associated with office activities.
Experience and Educational Requirements
- Three to five years of experience in an administrative support role and customer support with increasing responsibilities/variety.
- Strong organizational and prompt follow-through skills; demonstrated reliability and high-level detail.
- Ability to learn processes/systems quickly with an understanding of internal office technologies and resources.
- Continuous learner with a desire to grow professionally.
- Demonstrated initiative with a can-do approach to work assignments and challenges.
- Confident knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Associates degree with applicable work experience preferred.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com discussing how your experience and background would be best suited for this role and why you are interested in working for the Murdock Trust.
Position Range: $42,000-$46,000
The Murdock Trust also offers an exceptional benefit package including:
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Section 125 accounts including flexible spending and dependent care
- Immediate eligibility and vesting 401(k), 401(k) matching, and Profit Share
- Disability insurance and Life insurance
- 11 paid holidays and generous vacation and sick time
- Professional development assistance