Board Leadership Fact Sheet
The M.J. Murdock Charitable Trust is delighted to invite your organization to participate in the Board Leadership and Development Program—a unique faith-based training experience for select CEOs, board members and senior team members.
Designed specifically for Christian organizations, our content has been researched and developed by a team of experienced consultants and advisors assembled by the Murdock Trust.
Helping You Build Capacity and Sustainability
Over the course of 10 months, the Board Leadership and Development Program will equip you to fulfill the unique mission of your nonprofit Christian organization as you:
- Build the capacity of your board and staff
- Identify the strategic next steps and benchmarks needed to create a sustainable future
- Inspire both current and future board members to become more effective and God-honoring
- Gain institutional knowledge through surveys, assessments, resource readings, interactive faculty presentations, and in-the-trenches practical dialogue internally and externally.
Once registered, each organization will be assigned a coach who will provide 16 hours of guidance, mentoring and hands-on practical help. One coaching day will be considered “on-site,” in which the coach will visit the organization’s main office.
The remaining hours will be split among several days. Based on your specific needs and the “strategic next steps” your organization identifies, your assigned coach will suggest how you might allocate your 16 hours of professional coaching over the program’s five phases:
- Phase 1: Pre-reading, baseline surveys and webinar briefing (prior to Session One)
- Phase 2: Session One (two days in Vancouver: February)
- Phase 3: Enrichment Assignments (between February and May)
- Phase 4: Session Two (two days in Vancouver: May)
- Note: We are considering moving the May session to a virtual format (using Zoom). A decision will be made Fall 2020.
- Phase 5: Completion of Strategic Next Steps (with coach accountability)
Practical, Focused and Potentially Transformational!
The Board Leadership and Development Program will address the most strategic issues, challenges and opportunities of board leadership. Here is just a sample—a taste—of the program content:
“The board-CEO relationship is the soul of the Christ-centered organization. It connects leaders to followers, communicates vision and mission to the body, and sets the tone for the organization.”Stewards of a Sacred Trust: CEO Selection, Transition and Development for Boards of Christ-centered Organizations,David L. McKenna
- Understand God’s heart and purpose for nonprofit ministry boards
- Clarify the board’s role and the CEO’s role—eliminate fuzzy responsibilities
- Become a board increasingly characterized by spiritually discerned decisions
- Embrace and implement a policy governance model that fits your board’s DNA
- Leverage the four phases of board development: cultivation, recruitment, orientation, engagement
- Balance board roles (the three hats): governance, participant, volunteer
- Identify appropriate committee structures—and how to fix dysfunctional committees
- Maximize the most critical relationship: the board chair and the CEO
- Set the engagement bar high and foster a culture of continuous learning
- Align your mission, vision, values with measurable results and S.M.A.R.T. goals
To participate, your organization must commit to the following:
- A minimum of three and a maximum of four participants must attend each session. The executive director/CEO and the board chair/future board chair must participate.
- Participants from each organization must attend both sessions and be available for sessions with your coach on mutually agreed-upon dates.
- Participants must complete all readings and assignments before, during, and after the sessions.
- Participants will be expected to complete three surveys related to the program. The first survey will be conducted prior to the first session in February, the second will be completed immediately after the second session in May, and the third will be completed one year later (May).
- A program fee of $1,200 per organization is due upon registration.
One person from your organization will submit one registration with each member who will be attending the training. The $1,200 fee will be collected at the completion of your organization’s registration.
The registration fee will cover:
- Single room for each participant at the Hilton Vancouver Hotel for 1 night for Session One and 1 night for Session Two (unless moved to a virtual format). For those traveling a distance, an additional nights lodging will be made available prior to each session.
- All meals for Session One and Session Two (day one lunch through day two lunch)
- Session materials (books and resources)
- Travel and expense for each organization’s coach
Each organization will cover:
- Travel and miscellaneous expense for each participant from your organization
- Optional recommended resources materials
If you need additional information or have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-694-8415.