Resources for a successful leadership transition
One of the most key ingredients to sustaining organizations is preparing for a successful executive director transition. Even if leadership transition in your organization is a number of years away, research indicates that early and thoughtful planning will aid in the success of the changeover.
The next succession training will be held October 7, 2021 and will be focused on organizations who are currently led by the founder. The training will be limited to ten organizations to create a supportive small group experience. Interviews for participation will be held in April, 2021.
For more information, please contact John Franklin, Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In 2014, the Murdock Trust piloted a workshop on founder succession planning for 22 organizations around the Pacific Northwest. Tim Wolfred, a San Francisco-based consultant for nonprofit succession planning, led the training and discussion. The following documents from the session are available for download:
- Built to Last PPT – Tim Wolfred
- Building Leaderful Organizations Monograph – Tim Wolfred
- Article: “Five Ways To Know It’s Time To Leave”
- Article: “10 Things Departing Nonprofit CEOs Should Do”
- Sample Executive Director Succession Policy
- Sample Emergency Succession Plan
- Sample Succession Readiness Checklist
- Sample Board Self-Assessment
- Succession Planning Article